General Surgeon Garth Miller, MD joined the WhidbeyHealth Surgical Care team as a locums tenens in Oct. 2017 and became a full time member of the team in Aug. 2018.
Miller previously practiced general surgery in small towns in Oregon for seven years and in Maine for 25 years, where most recently he served as medical director for surgical services. He also had the experience of teaching Tufts University School of Medicine students and was a member of the board of trustees of the local hospital.
Miller then retired to travel the country in his motor home with his wife, only to find that he missed helping patients with their surgical problems.
The Millers fell in love with Whidbey Island, and when he was given the opportunity to resume his surgical practice at WhidbeyHealth, Dr. Miller decided to accept.
Patient Care Philosophy
- Minimize discomfort and optimize recovery by using the latest minimally invasive techniques and following evidence based guidelines whenever possible.
- Act as an advocate, listening closely to understand patient needs, and recommending surgery only when it is clearly in the patient’s best interests.
- Treat patients how I would want to be treated.
Scope of Care
- General and laparoscopic surgery
- GI endoscopy, upper and lower (colonoscopy)
- Breast surgery
- Wound Care
- Undergraduate: Pomona College, Claremont, CA, 1971-1975, Bachelor of Arts, magna cum laude
- Medical School: University of Kentucky School of Medicine, Lexington, KY, 1975-1979, Doctor of Medicine, with honors
Internship & Residency
- University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals Internship & Residency Program,
Seattle, WA, 1979-1984
- Board Certified by the American Board of Surgery since 1985
- Fellow, the American College of Surgeons since 1988