John Hoyt, MD is president and medical director of Northwest Pathology, a private laboratory in Bellingham, Wash., that provides anatomic and clinical pathology services. Dr. Hoyt has served as medical director of our laboratory since 2003, and since 2009 has chaired our Cancer Committee, a multidisciplinary group tasked with ensuring that cancer care at WhidbeyHealth Medical Center meets the highest quality standards. Dr. Hoyt, our primary on-site pathologist, joined our medical staff in 2000. He is a Fellow of the College of American Pathologists and the American College of Clinical Pathology.
Patient Care Philosophy
- Use the best available laboratory testing procedures.
- Provide diagnostic clarity and accuracy.
- Encourage excellence among laboratory testing and support personnel.
- Remain an integrated member of the health care team by participating in medical staff governance and maintaining close contact with clinical colleagues.
Scope of Care
- Anatomic pathology, including neuropathology (diagnostic biopsies, surgical specimens)
- As medical director of the WhidbeyHealth Laboratory, oversee all tests and functions for quality and accuracy.
- As chairman of the Cancer Committee, an interdisciplinary team of physicians, patient care and support staff, work to ensure excellence in cancer care at WhidbeyHealth Medical Center.
- As chairman of the Tumor Board, collaborate with care providers to determine the best treatment plan for individual cancer patients.
- Medical School: University of Washington, 1986
Internship & Residency
- Internship: Deaconess Medical Center
- Residency: University of Washington School of Medicine
- Board certified by the American Board of Pathology (Anatomic Pathology, Clinical Pathology, Neuropathology)