Ophthalmologist Robert Johnson, MD, provides complete medical and surgical care for eyes, treating an array of diseases such as cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, misaligned eyes, infections, trauma and diabetic and hypertensive retinopathies. He also performs comprehensive vision exams, prescribes glasses and fits contact lenses. He has served on our Peer Review Committee, which evaluates the hospital’s care to ensure it meets quality and patient safety standards. A retired Navy officer who served as a nuclear submarine engineer before attending medical school, Dr. Johnson joined our medical staff after moving to the island for the second time in summer 2011.
Patient Care Philosophy
- Provide excellent service through compassionate, ethical, and friendly eye care in two convenient locations.
- Educate patients about achieving and maintaining the health of their eyes.
- Use advanced technology and diagnostic skills to produce superior patient outcomes.
- Provide exceptional medical and surgical management.
Scope of Care
- Diagnosis, monitoring, and treatment of all ocular and visual problems, including disorders of the eyelids and visual neurologic pathways
- Medical, laser, and surgical treatment of cataracts, glaucoma, macular degeneration, diabetes, strabismus (misaligned eyes), and corneal diseases
- Elective refractive surgical care to correct near-sightedness, far-sightedness, and astigmatism, reducing or eliminating the need for eyeglasses or contact lenses for near or far vision
- Comprehensive visual acuity and ocular exams for all ages; if needed, provide glasses and/or contact lenses to correct focusing problems
- Medical School: Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, 1998
Internship & Residency
- Internship: National Naval Medical Center at Bethesda
- Residency: Naval Medical Center at San Diego
- Board Certified by the American Board of Ophthalmology
- 360.240.2020 or 360.321.6662
- 231 SE Barrington Drive, Suite 208 Oak Harbor, WA 98277 and 1804 Scott Road, Suite 106 Freeland, WA 98249